- 1 cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon hot chocolate mix (or ½ tablespoon cocoa powder and ½ tablespoon sugar)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Pinch salt
- 4 cups rustic style French bread, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened at room temperature, 1 to 2 hours
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- Zest of ¼ orange
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch clove
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients, except bread cubes and turbinado sugar. Mix well.
Add bread cubes and toss well. Press bread down a bit to absorb liquid. Press down and cover with plastic wrap. Put a plate on the plastic wrap to keep bread submerged. Set aside for 30 minutes.
In the meantime, preheat oven to 350°. Also, grease an 8- by 4-inch baking pan with butter. Place turbinado sugar in prepared pan and tilt it around so sugar coats sides and bottom. Pour out excess sugar.
Place bread pudding mixture in pan and press down a bit to make it level on top. Cover with foil. Bake for about 45 minutes, until a wooden skewer poked in the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven, uncover and let cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting. While bread pudding is cooling, make Pomegranate-Orange Butter.
To serve, cut warm bread pudding into slices and top with 1 to 2 tablespoons Pomegranate-Orange Butter.
Makes about ½ cup
Blend all ingredients using a whisk. Place in a plastic container and refrigerate.