grow with it
Growing Fennel Plants
JULIE GERARD’S TIPS FOR HAPPY FENNEL PLANTS
- Select a sunny, welldraining location to plant.
- Work some compost into the soil before planting to give your fennel optimal nutrition.
- Get the seed into the ground after the last frost, but before it gets hot.
- Be spare with the watering to discourage rot and mildew.
- As the young fennel grows, thin out the seedlings, leaving about four to six inches between plants.
- Pull all the weeds around the fennel so it isn’t competing for space, nutrition and water.