This salad is also great topped with grilled chicken breasts.
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces tri-tip, preferably grass-fed
- ¾ pound small green beans, trimmed
- 8 cups mixed baby greens (or 4 cups each mixed baby greens and escarole, torn into bite-size pieces)
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- ⅓ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 head garlic
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 8 slices baguette, ¼-inch thick
- Olive oil
- 8 tablespoons olive tapenade, green or black olive (store-bought or homemade)
If meat is thick, cut in half crosswise. Combine soy sauce, minced garlic and 1 teaspoon olive oil in a bowl and add tri-tip. Turn meat to coat and let marinate 1 hour at room temperature.
While meat is marinating, make dressing. Preheat oven to 400.° Slice top off head of garlic and wrap garlic in foil. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown and soft, then remove garlic and let sit until cool enough to handle. (Leave oven on for toasting bread.) Squeeze cooled garlic pulp into a small bowl, whisk in mustard, honey, lime juice, vinegar, salt and pepper, and then slowly whisk in oils. Taste and adjust seasoning.
For Tapenade Toast, place slices on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 3 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add green beans. Cook 2–3 minutes (they should be crisp-tender.) Drain and immediately put them into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. When beans are cool, drain and pat dry.
Heat remaining 3 teaspoons olive oil in a heavy-bottom skillet on high until oil is very hot. Remove meat from bowl and discard any marinade. Put meat in skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Flip meat over and cook about 4–5 minutes more, or until medium rare (130° to 135° on a meat thermometer). Grass-fed meat cooks more quickly, so check early. Remove from heat, let rest 10 minutes and cut into slices.
Lightly toss greens with about one-half of dressing. Mound greens on a serving platter, top with green beans, goat cheese, cherry tomatoes and tritip slices. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
Lightly brush toast slices with olive oil, top with tapenade and place as garnish on serving platter or serve them alongside the salad.