- ¾ cup canned coconut cream (use solid portion of the cream*)
- ¼ cup kefir, preferably raw
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup berries of your choice
- ¼ cup mixed nuts, preferably raw
- 1 tablespoon shaved chocolate (optional) (I like using unsweetened baking chocolate)
Make parfait in a 16-ounce Mason jar (or bowl). If coconut cream solids are not creamy, warm them a smidgen so they mix with kefir. Coconut cream melts quickly so be very careful with this step. (Warm the coconut cream before adding kefir).
Stir kefir, maple syrup and vanilla into coconut cream. Adjust sweetness according to your preference.
Top coconut cream mixture with a layer of berries and a layer of nuts. If using chocolate, shave over parfait with a cheese grater or zester.
*Use the remaining coconut cream in smoothies.
About this recipe
Recipe courtesy of Jeniffer Alburquerque, leader of the Meetup group Health and Beauty from Within. Alburquerque likes using berries in the parfait because they’re low in sugar, but you can substitute any seasonal fruit, she says.