Topping Inspiration Station
Flatbread topping combinations are endless. To get you started, here are some of my favorite combinations and some from local chefs.
For the topping suggestions below, scatter the ingredients evenly over the par-baked dough and finish baking, unless noted.
My favorite topping ideas:
• Dates, bacon, goat cheese, honey (Drizzle honey after flatbread cooks.) (pictured on page 19)
• Pear slices, Petit Basque sheep cheese, sliced almonds (pictured below)
• Shaved Brussels sprouts tossed in olive oil, roasted butternut squash, balsamic glaze, pomegranate seeds (Add pomegranate seeds after the flatbread cooks.)
Chef Alberto and Elaine Morello, proprietors, Olio e Limone Ristorante and Olio Pizzeria in Westlake Village and Santa Barbara:
• Egg, guanciale or pancetta, mascarpone, Pecorino-Romano cheese, parsley (pictured on page 19)
Chef Melissa Bess Reed:
• Caramelized onions, brie cheese
• Olive oil, diced garlic cloves, sea salt, pepper, basil, oregano, grated cheese (optional)
Chef Susan Coulter, co-owner of Feast Bistro in Ojai:
• Sautéed Swiss chard, roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, toasted walnuts, pesto, mozzarella or fontina cheese (pictured on page 18)
Chef Andrew Pedroza of The 805 Pour House in Camarillo:
• Sliced crimini, shiitake or oyster mushrooms (or all three), butternut squash (thinly shaved or roasted), caramelized onions, prosciutto, arugula, shaved Parmesan cheese (Add arugula and Parmesan after the flatbread cooks.)