- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1–3 cloves garlic (to taste) diced
- 1 cup carrot tops, lightly chopped
- 1 cup radish tops, lightly chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for topping bread slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- French baguette (or rustic loaf)
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place nuts on a baking sheet and bake for 8 to10 minutes, until fragrant, to bring out their flavor. Let nuts cool briefly before coarsely chopping them with garlic in the food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until desired consistency (I prefer to retain some texture). Spoon the pesto into a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cut baguette in .-inch-thick slices and place on a cookie tray. Brush lightly with olive oil. Broil for 2 minutes. Remove toasts from oven and top each with about 1 tablespoon of pesto. Put back under the broiler for 2 minutes, or until the mixture is hot and the toast edges are lightly browned.