- 2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red wine or rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 baguette, sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 cup creamy goat cheese, at room temperature
- Fresh basil, chopped
In a medium saucepan, over high heat, bring vinegar, brown sugar and pickling spice to a boil. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool and store covered, in the refrigerator, in a glass container (a Mason jar works well), until ready to use.
Brush sliced baguettes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill each side of bread until marked and toasted. Spread each toast with goat cheese. Top with 1 to 2 teaspoons of pickled onion and garnish with chopped basil. Serve immediately.