- 3 cups cooked chicken, preferably organic, chilled
- 1 to 2 Persian cucumbers, seeded and diced small
- 1 medium tomato, diced small
- 8–10 mint leaves, torn
- ½ bunch Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/3 bunch cilantro leaves, no stems
- Lemon Vinaigrette (recipe at right)
- 1 cup pita chips, store-bought or homemade (recipe at right)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon honey, preferably local
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- .2 pita breads, opened
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Sprig rosemary, finely chopped (leaves only)
- ¼ teaspoon dried chili flakes
Shred half of cooked chicken with a fork. Chop remaining half. Mix both chicken meats together in a large bowl. Add cucumbers, tomatoes, mint, parsley and cilantro; gently toss to incorporate. Pour Lemon Vinaigrette over chicken mixture and toss. Break pita chips into irregularly shaped pieces that are not very small. Fold pita chips into chicken salad.
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until thickened. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 225°.
Mix oil, salt, rosemary and chili flakes in a small bowl. Massage oil mixture all over pitas and place on a baking tray in a single layer. Bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until stiff. When cool, break pieces organically. Pieces should not be very small and be different sizes. Set aside for salad or snacking.
Related Stories & Recipes
Unsure how to properly roast a chicken? Koenig shows you how. Use this recipe for the chicken salads here. If you’re running sh...