- 4 ounces trimmed carrot tops (from 1 or 2 bunches), big stems trimmed off
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) walnuts
- 1 ounce fresh basil leaves, chopped (½ cup)
- ½ ounce fresh mint leaves, chopped (½ cup), plus more to taste
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Pull fronds of carrot tops off stems and discard stems (Editor’s note: or put them in your compost bin). Carrot tops have a firm, chewy texture, but stems are tough. Wash and spin-dry greens.
Pulse garlic and walnuts briefly in a food processor, then add various greens and salt and pulse again, scraping down sides of container as needed, until greens are finely chopped. Add olive oil and lemon juice and process pesto until it is smooth.
Recipes and images from Vegan Vegetarian Omnivore by Anna Thomas. Copyright c 2016 by Anna Thomas. With permission of the publisher, W. W. Norton & Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
Related Stories & Recipes
Gambas à la Plancha. Recipe is from "Vegan Vegetarian Omnivore: Dinner for Everyone at the Table" by Anna Thomas (W.W. Norton & Company, 2016). Prawns sauteed in garlic is one of those classic,...