- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup parsnips, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces*
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces 1 inch wide by 2 inches long
- Salt and pepper
- 2–3 sprigs thyme, plus some for garnishing
- 2–3 sprigs rosemary, plus some for garnishing
- 8 fresh figs, halved
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Preheat oven to 400°.
*Cut the thick ends of the parsnips in half so that all of the vegetables are roughly the same size (1 inch wide by 2 inches long).
Pour olive oil into a medium-size roasting pan; add shallots, garlic, parsnips, sweet potatoes, salt, pepper and herb sprigs. Gently toss to coat with olive oil.
Cover with foil and roast in oven 20 minutes. Remove foil, stir, add figs and balsamic and roast an additional 15 minutes, approximately. Remove when vegetables are tender; pull out herb sprigs and discard. Taste and adjust seasonings, and garnish with additional thyme and chopped rosemary leaves.